Tonight the middle school spent some time talking about the destination we are heading to. We don’t always do a great job of thinking about where we are heading. Tonight we challenged students with the truth that our choices today will determine our destination tomorrow. We want students to understand that the choices they are making today have a direct correlation to the consequences that they will deal with in the future. We challenged students to ask themselves two specific questions tonight. The first is “Where are your choices today taking you tomorrow?” The second question is “Is that destination a place that God wants you to be?” We helped students see how they can course correct this semester and start heading in the right direction by pulling over and stopping (stop making choices that are taking you in the wrong direction), and calling for help (seeking wise counsel).
Here are some questions that you can use with your middle schooler to help connect with them about what God showed them tonight.
- What destination do you think the choices you are making today are taking you?
- Is that a destination that God wants you to be in?
- Are there certain things that you need to let go of that are taking you in a direction that you don’t think you should be going?
- Do you think it will be easy or hard to let go of those things? Why or why not?
- What is wise counsel? Who is someone in your life that is already where you want to go, that you can turn to for advice?